|Entrance Fee||$60 per raft (2 persons)|
|Credit Card Accepted||No|
- Make sure that you tell your driver to pick you up downstream once you’re done with the rafting.
- Keep cash to tip your raft captain.
- Towards the end of your journey, your captain will show their handicraft and would solicit you to buy it. Buy only if you like the art, else politely say no.
- It makes sense to do Martha Brae River Rafting excursion and Glistening Waters Luminous Lagoon excursion on a single day since both the attractions are located very close to each other in the town of Falmouth.
I think a private taxi is the best way to get here. There are a ton of options to choose from when it comes to taxi and tours services in Jamaica. We chose Rocky’s Taxi and Tour Services after going through all 5 star rating on theirTripAdvisor page. The decision turned out to be great as they were highly dependable and responsive. We used Rocky’s taxi for our airport transfers and excursions at Blue Hole, Dunn’s River Falls, Martha Brae River, Luminous Lagoon and Negril. Wayne, our driver made sure that we had an awesome time, and we really had a blast! Thanks Rocky’s Taxi and Wayne!
Our time there:
The main reason why I chose this excursion was because it’s one of its kind. I mean in mainland USA where you would find a handmade bamboo raft? Having done white water rafting a couple of times, I wasn’t looking for an adventure but peace and tranquility. Martha Brae river rafting provided me just that.
Wayne, our driver picked us up at 1:00 PM from our resort in Montego Bay. We started late because we were doing Glistening Waters Luminous Lagoon excursion on the same day and it starts late in the evening. The drive to the Martha Brae river in Falmouth from our resort in Montego Bay took about an hour or so. We went in and got our tickets from the office. They don’t accept any credit cards. Therefore, make sure you have cash available with you for the tickets and the tip at the end. Since it was just me and my wife, we paid $60 for a single raft. The restrooms were clean and there was a small herb garden too. A non-alcoholic drink of our choice was also included in the entrance fee. Then we took the stairs that took us to the river and that’s where we met our captain, Seville.
Seville was pretty knowledgeable about the history, flora and fauna of the river. He told us quite a lot of interesting things about the river, plants and trees. He even plucked a flower and gave it to me so that I can give it to my wife. He clicked perfect pictures of this moment. There were a few shacks on the river bank where you can stop the raft for some snacks and/or Red Stripe. Yes, Red Strip on a bamboo raft in the middle of a river. You are silly if you’re still thinking whether you should do this excursion or not! 😉
Our captain Seville.
It was very romantic and relaxing indeed.
Where did we stay in Jamaica:
We’d visited Jamaica for 5 nights and 6 days. Before getting there, I’d planned what all attractions we would cover during this trip. In a nutshell, these are the attractions we covered:
From the list above, you can figure out that we’d planned to visit 4 different locations: Montego Bay, Ocho Rios, Falmouth and Negril. We were flying in and out of Montego Bay airport. Since Ocho Rios and Falmouth is closer to Montego Bay as compared to Negril, we decided to stay in Montego Bay for first 3 nights. Out of these 3 days, we’d reserved one day to cover attractions in Montego Bay, and the other two days to cover attractions in Ocho Rios and Falmouth. Both Ocho Rios and Falmouth are located pretty close to Montego Bay and we’d used Rocky’s Taxi and Tour Services for the day trips there. On our forth day, we left for Negril and stayed 2 nights there.
- We were looking for a hotel/resort with a kitchen. El Greco Resort provided just that.
- El Greco Resort turned out to be a good bargain. We paid $366.60 for 3 nights including taxes.
- El Greco Resort provided sumptuous breakfast which is included in the price.
- El Greco Resort is located right opposite to Doctor’s Cave Beach which is a paid beach. However, if you’re staying at El Greco Resort you get free daily passes for the beach.
Since El Greco Resort is so reasonably priced, don’t expect luxury.
- Catcha Falling Star has a perfect 5 star rating on TripAdvisor.
- Catcha Falling Star is reasonably priced considering its location, reviews and service. We paid $350 (tax not included) for 2 nights in Gemini room.
- Catcha Falling Star is literally located right next to Ricks Cafe, one of the best places to visit in Negril.
I highly recommend doing the Martha Brae River Raft excursion if you’re traveling with your spouse and/or family. I bet you will have a very romantic and relaxing time out there on the raft!