Taj Mahal Visiting Hours:
Taj Mahal is open everyday of the week EXCEPT Fridays. It is open from sunrise to sunset. Wish they had provided actual hours instead of sunrise to sunset, but usually this translates to 6:00 AM to 7:00 PM everyday, except Fridays.
Additionally, Taj Mahal is open for night viewing from 08:30 PM to 12:30 PM on full moon nights and two nights before and after the full moon.
Taj Mahal Entry Fee:
Taj Mahal has different entry fee for people from different countries.
|Indian Citizens||INR 40|
|Citizens of Afghanistan, Bangladesh, Bhutan, Maldives, Myanmar, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri-Lanka, and Thailand||INR 530|
|Citizens from countries NOT listed above||INR 1000|
|Children below 15 years (irrespective of country)||Free|
Tickets can be booked online at the official Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) website.
Please note that online tickets are non-refundable, non-transferable and non-cancelable. Also, the visitors shall be required to show photo identity proof in original at the entry to the monument.
What is included in ticket price?
For Indian citizens:
- Entrance to Taj Mahal
- Entrance to Taj Mahal
- Transportation from the parking to monument and back, by golf cart or bus
- One pair of disposable shoe covers
- Water bottle
There are different gates using which you can enter Taj Mahal: The Eastern Gate, The Western Gate and The Southern Gate.
In my view, the Eastern Gate provides the most convienient access to tourists without worrying about the hustle bustle of Agra city. The ticketing office, called Shilpgram is located just a kilometre away from the Eastern gate. The parking is located right adjacent to the ticketing office. If you’re coming by private vehicle this is the place to park as vehicle are not allowed in close proximity of Taj Mahal.
There are electric carts/vans that ply between Shilpgram ticketing office/parking and Taj Mahal’s Eastern Gate. For foriengners, the transportation cost using these electric vehicles is covered in the cost of ticket. Therefore, they can avail this facility free of cost. Since shoes are NOT allowed in Taj Mahal’s tomb, foriegners also get one pair of disposable shoe covers free of cost. They also get a 500 ml bottle of mineral water free.
India citizens, don’t lose heart. The cost of transportation from the parking to monument and back, by golf cart is pretty nominal: Rs 5 per person, one way.
If you’re visiting Taj Mahal in high tourist season and the queues to get into electric carts are huge, you can easily walk to the Eastern Gate from Shilpgram parking since it’s a short walk (1 kilometre) and footpaths are paved.
What is allowed inside Taj Mahal:
When you reach at the gate, you will have to go through metal detector and your bags will be thoroughly checked. Indians citizens may be asked to show a photo identification. Please note that they don’t accept PAN card as valid photo ID. Edibles are NOT allowed inside the monument. Therefore, make sure you don’t have any snacks/food in your bags.
Not to mention, inflammable, dangerous and explosive articles are also NOT allowed. Some items that are NOT allowed are as follows:
The entire Taj Mahal complex is wheelchair accesssible.
Best Time To Visit Taj Mahal:
The best time to visit Taj Mahal is during winters, from October/November to January/February. The moderate temperatures during these months will make your visit to Taj a pleasant experience. Since visiting Taj involve walking in open area, if you’re visiting Taj during summer or monsoon season, it’s highly recommended you carry a hat, shades and/or umbrella depending upon the season.
As for best time of day to visit Taj, I highly recommend visiting early in the morning around sunrise. This way you will not only beat the crowds but also the sun.
Night Viewing of Taj Mahal:
- Night viewing of Taj is permitted only on full moon nights and two nights before and after the full moon, i.e. maximum of 5 nights per month.
- Night viewing is NOT permitted in the month of Ramzan and on Fridays.
- Night view timings are from 08:30 PM to 12:30 PM.
- Only 400 viewers are permitted to view the Taj per night in batches of 50 persons.
- Price of the ticket for Indians is Rs 510 per person, for foreigners is Rs 750 per person and for children b/w the age 3 to 15 years is Rs 500 per child.
- Night view entry to the Taj will be from the Eastern gate via Shilpgram.
- Viewers can park their vehicles at Shilpgram and avail free transport from Shilpgram to the Eastern gate of Taj by battery operated buses.
- Tickets are available one day in advance between 10 A.M. to 6 P.M. at Archaeological Survey of India (ASI) 22, Mall Road, Agra. Ph. +91 0562 – 2227261, 2227263, Fax: +91 562 – 2227262, Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Cancellation of tickets is allowed on the same day from 10:00 AM to noon at the booking counter of ASI, 22 Mall Road, Agra. 25% will be deducted as cancellation charges.
- Full cost of the ticket will be refunded if the night viewing is canceled due to unforeseen circumstances by the Archaeological Survey of India (ASI).
About Taj Mahal:
- It is one of the Seven Wonders of the World
- It is one amongst UNESCO World Heritage Sites
- It is located on the south bank of the Yamuna river in Agra, Uttar Pradesh, India.
- It is built by Mughal emperor Shah Jahan in memory of his wife, Mumtaz.
- It is built in between 1631 AD and 1648 AD.